Werrington.org -St Philips Church
Set in beautiful surroundings, St. Philips Church is constructed almost entirely from stone supplied by Werrington's own quarries. The interior was extensively modified in preperation for it's centenary in 2007, and there is ample parking at the rear.
Rev. Sue Goodwin (Vicar)
A litle history supplied by Rev. S. E. Goodwin
The foundation stone was laid by the Countess of Harrowby on the 6th Sept 1906, and was dedicated by the Bishop of Lichfield the following June.
The land was a gift from Mr W M Meigh from Ash Hall, and the Vicar of Wetley Rocks gave a gift of £200
The funding for the building and equipping of the church was raised by subscriptions, and fund raising effects all by the small local community in the space of about ten years.
At first a harmonium was used for the services, but once it was free of dept an organ fund was started, to which the Carnegie Trust gave a grant of £200, which was half the cost of the organ. The remainder was again raised by the local community.
In 1921 a marble tablet was erected in the church in memory of the local men that gave there lives in the first world war.
The Church was consecrated for marriages etc. in 1965.
The interior was extensively modified, and a small extension added at the entrance in preparation for it's centenary in 2007
|Useful Telephone Numbers|
|Werrington Notice Board|
|Parish Council Information|
|Werrington Village Hall|
|St Philips Church|
|Werrington Picture Gallery|
|Werrington - Walk and Explore|
|Places of Interest|
|Ash Hall Walk|
|Werrington Primary School|
|Moorside High School|
|The Evening Sentinel|
|Leek Post and Times|
|Local Radio Stations|
|Other Useful Links|
District Council Website
|Stoke on Trent District
|Things To Do In Staffordshire|
|Money Saving Expert|
|National Lottery Results|
All content on this site is
Site Design by Mackerhost.com
Werrington.org is sponsored by alacarart.co.uk
<<< werrington . org is the community information site for Werrington, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire >>>