Situated in the beautiful Staffordshire Moorlands, the village hall at Werrington came about when, in 1930 a local Playing Fields Committee was formed to raise funds to establish recreational facilities in the district. After twelve months work, they had in hand the sum of £18. There was a good deal of correspondence with the local and national Playing Fields Associations and visits of inspection of possible sites by officials and committee. Progress however, was so tardy and unsatisfactory that the committee decided to abandon the project and to set up a new organisation whose function would be the provision of a Village Hall. This decision was approved at a public meeting held in December, 1931.
To the £18 from the Playing Fields Committee was added £15 from another defunct organisation, the Ash Hall Social Club. Draws, concerts, whist drives and other money raising activities saw the fund steadily but surely grow. Around £30 was raised by the local choir, for carol singing !, and in 1935, a printed illustrated appeal was issued and brought in around £100.
Early in 1937, it was decided to build. Plans were ready, and were submitted to, and approved by, the National Council of Social Service. They were very helpful and made a grant of £230 and lent £350, free from interest and repayable in five years. (It was repaid in four !) By this time £650 had been raised of which £75 had been used for the purchase of the site. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs. J. D. Johnstone in July 1937, and the Hall was opened in the following September. It was designed by the Committee and Mr. Jervis Madew, Architect, and built by Messrs. Baddeley Bros. The building cost just over £1,100 and the furniture about £60. Gifts in kind and labour were valued at £130: these included the stage curtains from the Women's Institute and the stage lighting from the boys of the school.
During the War, the hall was used by all of the War organisations for both technical and money raising activities.
Since then, it has become the social centre of the district, even housing the Doctors Surgery for several years. It has fulfilled all of the functions for which it was built, and more. Today, it is used for a whole range of activities including the children's Playgroup and meeting place for the local Parish Council. The Committee has met monthly throughout and its work and personnel are recorded in its minute books. The original key to the Village Hall is still on display in the small function room.
Hire Facilities and Information
The village hall is a large and practical venue, incorporating two function rooms offering capacity's of 50 and 100-120 persons respectively, which are suitable for a wide range of occasions and activities.
It has full kitchen facilities, and excellent road access, with ample parking to the rear, (Aproximately 80 spaces) which is all hard standing and flat, making it ideal for outside displays or car boot sales, etc .
The whole building is on one level and offers good access for those with mobility problems through the main entrance at the front.
Telephone number for Booking Secretary or further information:
All correspondence for any of the above should be addressed in the first instance to:
Werrington Village Hall,
358, Ash Bank Road, Werrington, Staffs. ST9 OJS
All hirings are for a minimum of 2 hours.
Preparation time: 30 minutes before commencement of hire.
More than 30 minutes charged at normal rate.
Please note: There is a refundable deposit of £40.00 for all dance / party bookings.
(Covers initial payment towards any damage)
From either direction, you will approach Werrington on the A52. In the centre of Werrington, you will come to the cross roads. The hall is situated on this junction, right next to St. Philips Church. The car park is reached by turning into Salters Lane at the lights